Science Education Minor

The Science Education Minor provides preparation for careers where teaching and conveying science are important components, including secondary, community college, and university teaching, or other science-related outreach.

The curriculum of the Science Education minor provides:

  • two quarters of field experiences in middle and high school science classes,
  • two quarters of UCLA-based laboratory teaching practicums taught by experts in laboratory instruction in the disciplines,
  • the science courses necessary for preparation for the state subject matter exams (if pursuing a teaching credential), and
  • the flexibility in education courses to allow individualization of the minor to fit the graduate and/or credential program of your choice.

The minor is designed to provide both theory and hands-on experiences. Students interested in K-12 education, as well as graduate programs in their STEM disciplines, are the primary focus.

Admission to the Minor

Students eligible for admission to the minor will be making normal progress to the preparation for a major in the Sciences whether they have declared such a major or not. As such, they will have completed 9 courses from the following with at least one from each of the four departments below:

1) Life Sciences 1, 2, 23L, 3, or 7A, 7B, 7C

2) Chemistry 14A, 14B, 14C, 14BL, 14CL or Chemistry 20A, 20B, 20L, 30A, 30AL;

3) Physics 1A, 1B, 4AL, 4BL or 6A, 6B or 5A, 5B, 5C; 

4) Mathematics 3A, 31A, or Life Sciences 30A.

To enter the minor students must be in academic good standing with an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better. Students must consult with the Academic Coordinator for the minor, to plan a coherent program to complete the minor along with their major, prior to filing a petition to enter the minor.

Requirements for the Minor

Seven courses are included in the minor with no more than two as lower division. A minimum of 28 units is required.

Lower division preparatory courses

# Crs
Science Education 10SL (formerly LS72)
One course from Earth and Space Sciences 1 (4), 1F (5) or AOS 101 (5), 102 (4), 103 (4); (By petition a course from ESS 101 (4) or 113 (4) may be used for this requirement)
Total: 2 courses
6-7 units

Upper division major courses

# Crs

Science Education 100SL



Education 127


At least one and no more than two courses selected from Chemistry and Biochemistry 192A (4), 192B (4), Civil and Environmental Engineering 192 (4), Physiological Science 192 (3), Life Sciences 192A* , 192B*, 192C*, Physics 192* (2 to 4)

*192 Practicums must be lab-based; note that for Life Science and Physics, you must choose a lab-based course or section. Consult with the Science Education Minor Coordinator for the most updated information.

Education Elective: At least one and no more than two courses selected from Education M102 (4), M103 (4), M108 (5), 121 (5), 123 (5), C125 (5), 128 (5), 130 (5), 132 (5), 133 (5), 134 (5), 138 (5), 164 (5), 166 (5), M186 (4), or M182A (2)/M194A (5), or M183A (3)/M194A (5). Also, some UC online courses to be approved on a case-by-case basis: UC Cross-Campus Enrollment (Select Education)
Total: 5 courses
22-23 units


How  to enroll in the practicum:


Contact the instructor for permission to enroll:

Dr. Pang -;

Dr. Russell -

Physiological Sciences:


Contact the instructor for permission to enroll:

Dr. Phelps -


Not all Physics 192 courses are lab-based. Please check with the Science Education Minor Coordinator before enrolling and for the current options.

Life Science:

Not all Life Science 192 courses/sections are lab-based. Please contact the Science Education Minor Coordinator for the most up-to-date information to ensure that you are enrolling in a lab-based section.

In general, to enroll in the LS 192 practicums, you will need to apply through the Learning Assistant Program. To get credit for the Science Education Minor, you will need to be a Learning Assistant for LS 23L or LS 7B. Note that you must have taken either LS 23L or LS 7B to be eligible.

Information and application for Learning Assistants:

When you go to the general LA-application website, please make sure to apply for LS 23L or LS 7B. The rest of the courses listed (e.g. LS 7A, 7C, 30A, etc) are not lab-based.

***You also should email Dr. Pfluegl ( and Dr. Shanna Shaked ( to alert them that you are part of the Science Education Minor, and therefore need to be placed into either LS23L or LS7B. 

The LA Coordinator for LS23L/7B will provide PTEs for you, once your application has been processed and once these are available.





























How to declare the minor?

Please contact the Science Education Minor Coordinator, Marlena Raimey, at to express your interest and ask any questions.